Policy & Position Statements
The American College of Rheumatology (ACR) works to shape health care policy and issues impacting the care of patients with rheumatic disease, and advances policies that will improve outcomes for patients. Discover resources on health policy and the management of rheumatic and musculoskeletal conditions and learn how the ACR is fighting for you and your patients.
Health Policy Statements
ACR advocacy is guided by health policy statements developed by the Government Affairs Committee and approved by the ACR Board of Directors. The statements inform members of Congress, regulatory entities, and partner organizations of ACR policy recommendations.
Key policy areas include improving access to rheumatology care, improving patients’ access to therapies, increasing support for rheumatology research and training, and alleviating the burden of utilization management policies on rheumatologists and rheumatology interprofessional team members.
The Value of Rheumatology White Paper
The Clinical & Economic Value of Rheumatology: An Analysis of Market Supply and Utilization in the United States, a white paper jointly published by the ACR and ECG Management Consultants, aims to highlight the clinical and economic value of rheumatology patient care.
The ACR is fighting for the rheumatology community and better patient outcomes. View the ACR’s top advocacy priorities.
The ACR position statements are official statements that reflect the policy of the ACR on issues related to the management of rheumatic and musculoskeletal conditions. These papers serve as a trusted and valuable resource for the healthcare industry.
Position statements are written by the Committee on Rheumatologic Care and approved by the ACR Board of Directors. The statements are updated every four years or when clinical circumstances dictate for review.
Access & Coverage
- Access to Care (08/2023)
- Beers Criteria (02/2021)
- Biosimilars (02/2021)
- Complexity of Biologics (8/2023)
- Compounding of Pharmacologic Agents (06/2021)
- Drug Pricing (05/2023)
- FDA Labeling (08/2019)
- Medical Liability Reform (08/2021)
- Payer Audits (05/2023)
- Prior Authorization (03/2020)
- Programs Limiting Copay Assistance (10/2018)
- Telemedicine (09/2020)
- Comparative Effectiveness Research (08/2021)
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Rheumatic Disease (2020)
- Use of Animals in Biomedical Research (2019)
Role of Rheumatology
- Clinical and Economic Value of Rheumatology (8/2023)
- Bone Density Measurement and the Role of Rheumatologists in Osteoporosis (08/2021)
- Use of Diagnostic Imaging in Rheumatology Practice (08/2018)
- Maintenance of Certification (08/2015)
- Ultrasound for Rheumatologic Conditions (08/2018)
- Synovial Fluid Crystal Analysis (02/2019)
- Clinical Laboratory Testing (08/2021)
- Infusion and Clinic-Administered Injection Therapy in Community Rheumatology Practices (02/2023)
- Methodology of Testing Antinuclear Antibodies (2019)
- Patient Access to Disease-Modifying Therapies (8/2023)
- Patient Safety and Site of Service for Infusible Biologics (06/2021)
- Pharmacovigilance (08/2022)
- Step Therapy (02/2019)
- Therapeutic Substitution (08/2022)
Tell Us About Issues Impacting You & Your Patients
Do you have a new or important policy issue that the ACR should be aware of? Fill out the form below to tell ACR Government Affairs what is impacting your practice and patients.