Abaloparatide (Tymlos)


Abaloparatide (Tymlos) is a liquid medicine that has been approved for treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and in men. It contains a parathyroid hormone protein. While continuously high parathyroid hormone levels cause bone loss, tiny daily doses of parathyroid hormone increase bone formation and density. In clinical trials, abaloparatide reduced the chance of breaking a bone in women post menopause with l osteoporosis.

How To Take It

Abaloparatide comes in a pen containing four weeks of medication. Abaloparatide is injected under the skin of the stomach every day with a tiny needle. The site of your daily injection should change every day to reduce skin irritation. You should inject the medicine about the same time daily. Once the pen is used, it can remain outside of the refrigerator for the remaining doses but storing in the refrigerator is also acceptable.

To get the most benefit from use of abaloparatde, be sure to consume calcium-rich foods and/or take a calcium supplement. Total calcium intake from food and supplements should be at least 1200 mg per day. Also take vitamin D as recommended by your provider.

Side Effects

The most common side effect (58%) is redness where the medicine is injected. Up to 20% of people can get high blood or urine calcium levels from taking the drug. Within four hours of injecting the medicine, some people have low blood pressure or feel dizzy. If this happens, your provider might ask you to inject the medicine when sitting or lying down. In rats, this medication causes bone cancer (osteosarcoma). To be cautious, the FDA has limited use of abaloparatide to two years in a person’s life. Use of abaloparatide is not recommended for people at high risk of bone cancer.

Tell Your Rheumatology Provider

Please contact your provider if you get pregnant while taking abaloparatide, which should not be used during pregnancy.

Updated February 2024 by Mohammad Ursani, MD, and reviewed by the American College of Rheumatology Communications and Marketing Committee.

This information is provided for general education only. Individuals should consult a qualified health care provider for professional medical advice, diagnosis, and treatment of a medical or health condition.

We use cookies on our website to improve our service to you and for security purposes. By continuing to use our site without changing your browser cookie settings, you agree to our cookie policy and the use of cookies. See ACR Policies